Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Calculator


Today is a big day in math. I purchased a math workbook at Staples for Zachary to use. This workbook is going to be our training book for using a calculator. I thought I could just throw the workbook and calculator and tell him to get after it. But, no! I actually had to do a few as examples to get him started. However, after that he was off.

You may be asking why am I showing or allowing my 8 year old to use a calculator. Shouldn't he still be working addition, subtraction, multiplication and division in his head? The answer is yes he should be but he also needs to learn how to correctly use a calculator. He will continue doing his regular math program, TXVA 4th grade, without the calculator. This way he will be doing both, math without a calculator and math with a calculator.

As a student gets into higher math they eventually learn how to use a calculator and on certain standardized test they can use a calculator. I am teaching my son how to use his brain and the calculator.

0 comments:

Signature