Friday, May 1, 2009

Update on Zachary's Schooling

I checked with Connections Academy which is my first choice for Virtual Public School to see if they had gotten the Out-Of-District letter signed by my superintendent. Well, They had not. They said that they were going to send a letter to my superintendent from the superintendent of the Houston ISD. This letter would also be specific to Zachary and no other child in the MPISD. Hopefully with the letter individualize the superintendent will sign the letter.

The other thing I found out is that Zachary was accepted into 3rd grade next year and also was accepted into the Gifted Language Arts, Math and Science courses. I am so proud of him for this achievement. In order to qualify for the gifted classes he had to take a 4th grade placement test. He pass these test with a 100%. What this says is that Zachary (Technically a 1st grader by age) is ready for 4th grade work. But what I love about Connections Academy is that they are keeping him with his age mates (somewhat) but letting him go deeper and faster with his subjects. The math program allows him to do 2 years of math in one year. The science makes him think deeper and do projects. The Language Arts allows him to do a Literature Study. He will also be able to talk to other gifted children.

I am considering if the school isn't able to get the superintendents signature to take this matter to the school board. I am hoping they will see that they don't offer these types of gifted classes and will sign the paper so Zachary can attend.

0 comments:

Signature